Friday, December 11, 2009

A Fine Frenzy - Bomb in a Birdcage (review)



I don't know what it is about that album cover... or that woman for that matter, but it stops me dead in my tracks every time.

Bomb in a Bird Cage is the sophmore (ie, 2nd) album from Alison Sudol otherwise known as "A Fine Frenzy." I heard a lot great things about her debut One Cell In The Sea, it got a lot of candy-coated praise and I went out and got it but barely gave it any rotation. I don't know why, really. Nothing just stood out to me. I guess I was just too busy opening my zipper - just look at her - in lieu of my ears and mind, but regardless, this is a very beautiful saccharine sweet album (I was instantly hooked, unlike with the debut).

Granted, I seriously need to give One Cell In The Sea another chance, but it will probably be awhile since I am positively gob-smacked by Bomb In A Birdcage - "Electric Twist" and "Blow Away" are the most notable songs for me (an honorable mention goes to "Bird of the Summer"). That whole "bird" thing strikes me as somewhat ironic, considering her sunny soothing voice is quite reminiscent of a bird itself. She's like Feist, only you can actually understand what it is she's saying.

Give Bomb in a Birdcage by A Fine Frenzy a listen and I'm sure you will be just as fascinated by this little birdy as I am. Fly - don't walk - to your nearest retailer and pick up a copy today... this woman is one talented chirp off the old block.

Final verdict: 4 1/2 stars out of 5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sweet review. i love that electric twist song.