Friday, December 11, 2009

Bowling For Soup - Sorry For Partyin' (review)

Bowling For Soup - Sorry For Partyin'

I was never a real big fan of Bowling For Soup. I was introduced to them like most people - through that one single 1985. Sure, the song was catchy and the video was... interesting to say the least... but most people just didn't care because they dismissed them as either a one-hit wonder/novelty band. They've been around for a pretty long time (well over 10 years) and so I thought I'd give them a chance with their new album since it was getting positively glowing 5 star reviews on Amazon. Bowling For Soup are pretty much a comedy band (think: Tenacious D and Flight of the Concords), so don't expect to really be *moved* or anything, just to have a few good chuckles. That being said, as soon as I heard the first song "A Really Cool Dance Song" I couldn't help but laugh. Just look at some of the lyrics:

Bowling For Soup - A Really Cool Dance Song

We grew up in the suburbs
Got guitars for Christmas and started a punk rock band
Then we travelled the nation, became a sensation
In our '82 Dodge Van

And now we're gettin older and much more sober
And we've got some big house payments to make
The wife wants a handbag, the kids need some college
And we just need one hit single to break
Get ready here it comes

This song sounds like a dance song
Cuz dance songs are cool now
So get up and shake what your mama gave ya
It's our attempt at a dance song
A really cool dance song
It's gonna be a great big hit

And now the label is so stoked
they don't get to damn joke
The downloads will rock the charts
Like the guys on the TV with the frilly tuxedos
The ones that break the young girls' hearts
And now we can too

This song sounds like a dance song
Cuz dance songs are cool now
So get up and shake what your mama gave ya
It's our attempt at a dance song
A really cool dance song
I can't wait to hear the remix

A pretty funny song, but if I had to pick a favorite it would have to be "My Wena," which is basically a love song about the lead singer's penis (he refers to it as a woman). Suffice to say, this is the most passionate song I've heard about someone's penis in awhile. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I really do like the song. Lyrics:

Bowling For Soup - My Wena

Her name is Wena.
Hey, have you seen-a?
Everyone says she's amazing.
She gets so jealous,
She sticks her head up
When I'm checkin' out the ladies.
And she needs so much attention
She's always hangin' around.

My Wena is lonely tonight.
(My Wena)
She cries when I turn out the light
(My Wena)
She's only happy when I'm holdin' her tight
Oh, My Wena.
Take a look at my Wena.

The whole album is filled to the brim with that kind of stuff. The album is a bit rock, pop, and all kinds of ridiculous... but never grating. The only real bad thing I have to say about the album is it's a bit too long (about 50 minutes), but then again, that nitpick is kind of silly given the content is for the most part incredibly witty and catchy. If the song title "Horray For Beer" makes you giggle like a lunatic, like me, then you'll probably eat this guys Wena right up... err... love this album. Bowling For Soup has officially set the standard for inane yet hilarious pop rock about BFFs and claiming not to be able to speak any English in order to get out of annoying situations. Classic.

Final verdict: 4 out of 5 stars

Songsnack Music Reviews:
- Album cover of the year?

No comments: