Friday, December 11, 2009

Duffy - Rockferry (review)

Duffy - Rockferry

I'd be lying if I said I didn't pick up most of my albums based sheerly on how cute the girl on the cover is. This time, though, the name drew me in. Duffy? I was interested to see if she sounded anything like Duffman from the Simpsons... she doesn't, but she does have a great voice. At first listen she sounds kind of like generic "soul"... but the album actually gets better as time progresses (which usually isn't the case - albums tend to get slower and more forgettable).

I don't think many people will get this album upon first listen, it's consistently good but might sound a bit too same-y for some people. That being said, listen to "Stepping Stone" and "Mercy," the latter is the most upbeat song on the album - very much worth a listen). Rockferry by Duffy can mostly be defined by that old "grower" album cliche... at least for me. If you like classic soul then you will probably get hooked from the word go.

For the most part I come back to Rockferry every now and then and remember Duffy has a pretty incredible voice, I think you should give her at least one chance, especially if you are into artists like Leona Lewis, Adele, and James Morrison - check out a bit of Mercy here:

http://s0.ilike.com/play#Duffy:Mercy:60153309:s167500.10446697.11608120.1.2.136%2Cstd_cb61f83dd94740cba3181a7aba62e890

Final verdict: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments: